viernes, 19 de octubre de 2012

1st Practice (Intermediate)

My first practice went well enough. It was a lot of work, but it turned out better than expected. The warmup consisted of having them read in an auxiliary language that does not need to be studied to be understood. Students were able to read it and found it amusing.


For the presentation, I played a song that had quantifiers and afterwards, I formulated questions from it. The song had a fun rhythm, so they seemed to like it. Subsequently, they read one passage aloud. There were questions and underlined quantifiers. They participated and identified the key elements.

The grammar focus followed. I got to the classroom before time and made a chart on the board. I included a definition of quantifiers, examples, and a percentage scale to organize them. I also added a vocabulary section for the new words found in the practice.

I handed out copies of a worksheet consisting of a "fill in the blanks" activity. They worked on selecting a proper quantifier for each sentence, and I monitored their progress. Then, when their time to answer was over, I had them check along the exercise with me. They got most answers right, so I was pleased.

To wrap up the class, I guided a speaking activity. They were to get in pairs and answer some questions that were meant for discussion and usage of  quantifiers. Students engaged in the task and shared some of their ideas with the rest of the group, which was nice. So, I hope the remaining practices work out as well.

2 comentarios:

  1. Jonathan,

    it seems you enjoyed this first class with this intermediate I group. I liked the activities you presented and think you are doing a great work.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. After all you had a nice class. The activities you developed seems to be nice for the students and for you as well. Congrats and let´s continue shaping our teaching style!!!!

    ResponderEliminar