viernes, 7 de septiembre de 2012

1st Practice (Intermediate I)


My first class with this group was OK, but I hope the experience improves for the upcoming week. I introduced the topic in the warm-up by playing a popular song and handing them the lyrics. They were to underline new words and infinitives/gerunds in the text. I played it twice, partially because of latecomers. 

What caused some confusion is that I didn't know they supposedly hadn't studied before gerunds and infinitives, yet the topic was one to be studied afterwards: "Verbs followed by gerunds/infinitives". However, when I realized that was the case, I took some extra time to provide them with a simple explanation. In addition, I had students help me to complete a "fill in the blanks" activity on the board, using either gerunds or infinitives.

I also gave them copies containing 3 columns of verbs, one of verbs followed only by infinitives, another one of verbs followed by gerunds and one of verbs followed by both. Because of their level, many of those seemed to be new for them, and I gave them meanings and examples of their usage in common contexts.

I felt this class was quite demanding as it involved introducing an utterly new topic, having written practice, explaining grammar points and presenting new verbs to the group. So, the lesson for me was to remember asking students whether they already knew about certain topics that are required to teach others.  

1 comentario:

  1. wow!! you did lot of work man. but even though students had not studied the topic before, you were able to explain what those verbs were about and I think it helped you to move on with the following activities which were to practice what you were to teach.

    ResponderEliminar