viernes, 25 de mayo de 2012

3rd Practice With Advanced

 
This week's experience was the best so far, with the advanced group. I felt more acquainted with students and the feeling appeared to be mutual. They liked the warmup, consisting of listening to a song, but not reading the lyrics. It was just meant to make them remember animals, nature, or ecology. The track was "In The Jungle (Ace Ventura OST)". 

In addition, I handed out some National Geographic magazines about wildlife and nature. The purpose was to have students connect ideas and recall their prior knowledge. For example, one of them said the music reminded him of a movie, The Lion King, and of Africa. 

The topic was about being eco-friendly. Following advice from my tutor, I didn't use the activity from the book, as it was too long and dull. Instead, I opted to use an article called "Top 5 Eco-Friend Celebrities". Clearly, it was more appealing for the class. I even pasted big pictures of those famous people, so they could relate the info to the images.

This time the reading worked better. Instead of students reading aloud one by one, I decided to ask them to read in groups. The process was faster and their voices were louder. During the reading, some new vocabulary came up, and I explained their meaning and usage through examples in a common context. 

Afterwards, students worked on written practice, pair discussion and on a chart from the book, which seemed to be interesting for its environmentalist awareness message. I will make the last effort, and attempt to succeed in the final practice of this semester too.

2 comentarios:

  1. You never stop surprising me. Lastly you have been coming up with very creative activities. I must confess that I am surprised.

    It is nice that you always try to relate the materials to the previous topic. And I also like when the students feel familiar with the topics and activities, and you always know how to do it.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Uuuuu the warm up sounds fantastic. It is good when a teacher looks for different ways to call students' attetion because using the same activities all the time could be tiring. I think that you are very creative and talented.
    I feel happy when I read about your teaching experiences. Congratulations!

    ResponderEliminar