miércoles, 15 de agosto de 2012

3rd Practice (Advanced)


My third teaching practice of the period was perhaps the most fluid class with the advanced group, so far. I used flashcards in the warm-up. Students got in groups and thought of 4 vital items to take in a trip to certain cities from the pictures. They had speaking practice about daunting personal challenges. 

Students were able to relate to the material, as they enjoyed and unanimously agreed on the most daunting challenge being "meeting your boyfriend/girlfriend's parents". They shared some of the challenges they had experienced themselves.

The same topic continued in the article for the class. They worked on a fill in the blanks activity, and the reading contained quite a few new words. I liked that students seemed more comfortable asking me questions, as I answered many this time. 

Regarding vocabulary, I was even able to connect different new words or expressions to explain other new meanings by relating them or using them in descriptions. Examples:

Raising money - investment
afterwards - subsequently
challenger mission (nasa) - challenge - exploit
stamina - energy

Also, to save up time, I would ask them to help me answer some exercises by telling me the right option to underline in a multiple choice activity (intended to be done by underlining). So, basically I converted it into a choral activity that was more dynamic and more interactive, which worked out pretty well. I hope my last practice with the group turns out to be positive too. 

2 comentarios:

  1. I am glad to read in every entry that you are improving step by step. and it is nice because you are showing yourself how able you are to do in this field even though you have said you are not. I know you have a lot vocabulary so it becomes easier for you to explain new words. That´s nice!!!!!!! congrats and continue doing so well!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I like the way you always teach students plenty of vocabulary in every class. I wish I had that skill too since I believe not everybody is able of doing so.
    I guess the warm up activity was very nice; using flashcards properly always helps a lot to get students speaking.
    It is nice that you had your students interacting and speaking a lot in your class... Congrats!

    ResponderEliminar