martes, 24 de julio de 2012

1st Practice of the semester

My first practice with the advanced group went fairly well. As a warm-up, I had them puzzle over a few riddles. They seemed to be interested in guessing the answers. The idea worked as expected. The class focus was on "reported speech". I wrote some example sentences on the board, and explained the difference it had in relation to direct speech. Underlining the structure and tense changes was helpful. I also answered their questions.

Then, the main activity was a reading exercise. They got in pairs and read an article. I gave them some time, and before moving on to the exercise, I asked if they had spotted any new words from the reading. They did told me about a couple of new terms. So, I wrote the meaning on the board, gave the pronunciation and provided examples. 


In an effort to engage them actively in solving the exercise, I prompted them to work with a partner and asked them for help by giving me oral responses. They worked and participated effectively in the activity. In addition, I added a vocabulary section on the board to write some key terms from the lesson. The words were related and they even told me which were the similarities among the words. 


To finish up the class, I asked some trivia questions related to the reading. Some of them gave their opinions to the rest of the group and some answers were even humorous, so the class ended in a lightened mood.  

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario